Stocks and Commodities Magazine

Futures Traders correlating Inter-market relationships

Which intermarket relationships should futures traders be aware of?

If you are unaware of what an intermarket relationship is, it is simply the manner in which particular markets behave in relation to each other. Specifically, the correlation between two otherwise unrelated markets. Among the most monitored relationships are those between stocks and bonds, and the U.S. dollar and commodity prices.

Most people assume that stocks and bonds will always be negatively correlated (meaning they move in the opposite direction). This is a simplistic view that suggests investors have only two choices, stocks and bonds; money moved out of one typically coincides with money moved into the other. However, there are times in which both assets can move higher or lower together. For example, in the early stages of the Fed’s Quantitative Easing campaign, the never-ending printing of U.S. dollars, and the subsequent need for liquidity to find a home, caused nearly all asset prices to move higher in lockstep. During this time both the equity market and Treasury securities were able to climb to multi-year highs. In fact, at the time this column was going to editing, statistics on the previous 180 trading days suggest that the S&P 500 futures contract and the 30-year bond future were negatively correlated a mere 40% of the time. This leaves plenty of time (60%) for the markets to be trading outside of what is the conventional expectation.

An interesting intermarket relationship that is surprisingly reliable, but has managed to go under the radar is the negative correlation between the S&P 500 and the Yen. According to stats spanning over the previous 180 trading sessions (at the time of this writing in early June), these two markets traded in opposite directions approximately 91% of the time! Accordingly, those looking for a crack in what was then the magnificent stock rally might have looked to any strength in the Yen vs. the dollar (a higher Yen futures contract, or a lower USD/YEN in FX) as a hint toward a reversal.

 

Read more about Inter-market relationships in the August 2013 issue of Stocks & Commodities Magazine.

Share

DeCarley Trading on Twitter

Carley Garner Trading Books

  • Higher Probability Commodity Trading, new Carley Garner book

    Higher Probability Commodity Trading, new Carley Garner book

    According to Phil Flynn, Fox Business News contributor, this is Carley Garner's "masterpiece"! Order from Amazon today! "A great read for both beginner and advanced commodity traders. Carley nails the seemingly impossible task of leveling the playing field by imparting vital concepts in easy to digest bites ...she doesn't leave out the harsh realities and heartbreak many overzealous speculators face." -- JON NAJARIAN, co-founder NajarianFamilyOffice.com "I love the book... it's an MBA in trading for the
    Read More
  • Commodity Options the Book

    Commodity Options the Book

    It isn't free, but it's close! If this book saves you 2 ticks, you've recouped your investment.   Commodities are hot, as Jim Rogers would say.  Stagnant stocks and the massive bull rally in raw commodities have lured much of the attention away from Wall Street and toward down-town Chicago.  It is difficult to turn on the television or open the newspaper without being reminded of the impact that commodity prices have on our daily lives.   Traders
    Read More
  • A Trader's First Book on Commodities

    A Trader's First Book on Commodities

    The Simple, Practical, 100% Useful How-To Guide for New Commodities Traders   Before you trade commodities, you'll need significant practical knowledge of the associated risks and market characteristics. That's where this book comes in. You won't find boring theory or bewilderingly complex trading strategies here. Instead, you will find specific guidance on accessing commodity markets cost-effectively, avoiding common beginners' mistakes, and improving the odds of successful trades. Drawing on her extensive experience teaching traders, Garner shows how to
    Read More
  • Currency Trading in the FOREX and Futures Markets

    Currency Trading in the FOREX and Futures Markets

    Get a copy of Carley Garner's latest book at Amazon.com, or any major outlet! "Once again, Carley Garner demonstrates her ability to boil down complex concepts for individual traders. Trading Currencies in the FOREX and Futures Market will put budding currency traders ahead of the curve with its unique blend of the basics and some refreshingly unexpected material." ~ Karris Golden, Traders Press® "Carley is a smart trader and broker; she understands the markets and the importance of
    Read More

Newsletter Trial